In the middle of May, I was privileged to be invited to present to the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (OUSD), Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP) Team. The MC&FP Team hosted a professional development summit at the Pentagon in Alexandria, Virginia with a focus of “Taking care of those who take care.” It was an opportunity for the team to collectively engage in professional learning and reflect on their work and impact in our DoD Community.
With scale and impact at the forefront, behind every program there are people and relationships key in achieving objectives. As a guest speaker for the MC&FP Professional Development Symposium, my presentation focused on building and strengthening partner relationships. It was an honor to share professional insights with senior executives with extensive oversight of over programs such as Military One Source.
When was the last time you visited Military One Source. Military One Source is a resource critical to the support of our military connected families across the Department of Defense. Military One Source is not just a website but an engaging platform from the Department of Defense that is a 24/7 “gateway to trusted information, resources, and confidential help.” The goal of this platform is to provide resources right at one’s “fingertip” for various facets of military life. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Confidential Counseling: Military OneSource offers free, confidential counseling services to help individuals and families navigate personal and relationship issues, stress management, grief, deployment-related challenges, and more.
- Financial Guidance: Military OneSource provides financial education and resources to assist with budgeting, debt management, tax preparation, retirement planning, and other financial matters.
- Relocation Assistance: Military OneSource offers information and resources to support service members and their families during relocations, including assistance with housing, schools, childcare, and settling into a new community.
- Spouse Employment Support: Military OneSource provides resources and tools to help military spouses overcome career challenges, find employment opportunities, and enhance their professional skills.
- Education and Career Support: Military OneSource offers education guidance, tuition assistance information, and career exploration resources to help service members and their families pursue their educational and professional goals.
- Health and Wellness Resources: Military OneSource provides information and resources related to physical and mental health, including assistance with finding healthcare providers, managing chronic conditions, and accessing counseling services.
- Specialty Consultations: Military OneSource offers specialized consultations on topics such as special needs support, elder care, adoption, and legal matters.
Spending time with the Military Community and Family Policy Team at the Pentagon was invaluable. It provided perspective on the people behind the programs, facilities, and services crucial in upholding our total force. It was also an opportunity share professional insights gleaned in my time at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota and beyond. Take a moment to visit Military One Source and know there are people who “take care” in ensuring our total force is supported.
For more information about Military One Source, please visit https://www.militaryonesource.mil/. In addition, if there are questions pertaining to the School Liaison Office, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 701-723-1447.