According to the U.S. Fire Administration, over half (57%) of grill fires on residential properties occur in the four months of May, June, July and August. Grill fires on residential properties result in an estimated average of 10 deaths, 100 injuries and $37 million in property loss each year. To ensure a safe grilling experience, consider the following recommendations:
1. Use grills outside only, away from siding, deck rails and overhanging branches.
2. Clean grills regularly to remove grease buildup.
3. Never add charcoal starter fluid to fire.
4. Never use gasoline or any flammable liquids other than starter fluid.
5. Check the gas cylinder hose for leaks.
6. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill.
Your Minot AFB Homes Resident Guide lists the rules and expectations for residents; fire pits and grills can be found on page 36. Both, fire pits and grills are permitted as long as all safety guidelines are followed. Fireworks, however, are strictly prohibited. The manufacturing, sale, storage, possession, transporting and/or use of fireworks and all incendiary devices are expressly prohibited in the community. Violation of the fireworks policy is cause for immediate termination of your Resident Responsibility Agreement/Lease and eviction. For more information on safety guidelines or other community expectations, review your Resident Guide. A copy of the guide is also available on the resident portal. For questions contact Minot AFB Homes, 701-727-0007.